Thursday, February 28, 2013

Just askin'

For a while now I have met with the Lord every morning and begged Him for an awesome, original, out of this world fund raiser idea for Village of Hope.

 And every morning for a while now- I got nothing.

Silence.

 As I stared at the numbers- as I faced the needs- I tried my hardest to remain peaceful.

Over and over people would say to me “He’s got this." And while in my heart I knew that was true…

at the same time the faces of Yessica...



Rosa...



Brenda...



Sandri...



and the Subuyac family...



would come to mind.

And my heart would hurt…

because I couldn’t imagine facing life, day after day, in their shoes.

To me,

eating dirt to fill your belly,
 
having preventable polio,

going blind because you don’t have the medication to control your diabetes,

and having your 3 year old son fall into a pot of scalding water and not being able to afford the required surgery is just not okay.

Starting a new ministry is anything but easy. I was warned it would be hard… but I also know that Jesus doesn’t normally call us to the easy. And so in faith we face each day. We face every need and we trust that He will supply.

 And then this morning, as I once again begged the Lord for that amazing, original, super successful fund raiser idea- I sensed him saying ‘just ask’.

Just ask my people.

And so...we've got no tshirts to sell this time and nothing to give away. We have no answers, and no ideas.

But we have hope.

As a new ministry we have many needs- everything from brooms and dish towels to thousands of dollars’worth of wheelchair accessibility and safety railings. We need an automobile to take the orphans to church. We need furniture, and appliances and day to day costs. Village of Hope is built of concrete block and tin roof. Just plain and simple. We are surviving on as little as we can- being as frugal as we can- giving hope to as many as we can.

But we need help- because God never intended for us to do this on our own.

YOU (yes you) are his plan.

So I am just asking.

Asking you to give.

Asking you to pray.

Asking you to advocate.

Asking you to step out of your boat and do something big for the kingdom of God.  

Maybe you can give up ordering out pizza once a month? Maybe you can skip your family vacation this spring break? Maybe He's asking you to trust in Him more than your savings account? Maybe He's asking you to approach your small group, your Sunday school class, your pastor?

Just asking….

"You can pray for anything, and if you have faith, you will receive it." Matthew 21:22

To give please go HERE. (please indicate for Village of Hope).

  image signature

16 comments:

Kim said...

It worked. :)

Unknown said...

Count us in :)

MamaFoster said...

You have not because you ask not right? :). I will be making a donation later today, but will also be trying to think of something I can do to help more.

Kristin Ferguson said...

Sent in the money I would have spent on my 40 Starbucks drinks (that I gave up for Lent). Praying about what else to do! Love your ministry and having followed your blog for a few years now also love your heart for orphans and for following Jesus!

L, Ann and boys said...

Giving a donation because...you asked...and hope to do some kind of photography fundraiser this month and will pass along the session fees if it works. :)

Anne B. said...

Amy, Our church is in a poor urban community that is the home of many working poor, homeless, addicts, and alcoholics. Some of these people are so hungry for God and attend worship regularly. We also serve three meals a week and provide more coffee, food, clothing, recovery resources, and LOVE than you can imagine. Because this same group makes up the majority of our congregation we are a very poor church economically. But last year we decided to support Imagine No Malaria and our folks stepped up big time to help! I'm happy to say that we have chosen Village of Hope for this new year! I know that whatever we are able to raise over the year won't be a lot but I do know that people's hearts will be changed by what you are doing there. I can't wait to start sharing with them on Sunday! Please join me in praying that God will multiply everything that you receive because you have just asked!! (((BIG HUGS)))!!!

Keri said...

Done, and HAPPY to be asked!

Serena said...

My husband and I love what you are doing for orphans and families in Guatemala. Praying that God abundantly provides for you and the ministries that you are a part of.

Michelle said...

Just donated, hope to do more in the future.

Praying for your mission & family!

Donna said...

Donated....my daughter and I love your blog and the sweet people you share with us. it was our blessing to be ASKED!!!
Donna and Kensley Smith

Alexandra said...

Thank you for all you are doing. I am thankful to be able to support your work- the Lord's work. May His blessings pour out upon you all and the people you are serving.

Kristin said...

Amy,

I "found" your blog about 2 months ago. I decided to go all the way back to the beginning and see what it looked like to have God place such an amazing call on an "normal" family, like mine. Tears rolled down my face many times as I watched the transformation, and I am sure that what I could see was only a small glimpse of all the God was doing! We are also a large family, 5 the old fashioned way and two more through adoption (both with special needs). Your words and your life have challenged me and bit by bit I see God changing my perspective, and my future. I am curious to find out if there are mission trips that come to Village of Hope. Is there a way to volunteer time to serve? I would love to know what the options are! We are praying for you and are praising God for all He is doing in Guatemala!

Kristin

the liljenquist fam said...

Hi there-
I first learned about your family by reading your daughters wonderful article in the Mache magazine. I wanted to learn more about the family that raised such a wise young woman and started reading your families blogs. I connect so much with what you write about and am convicted and encouraged by your words- thank you!! Long story short, my husband and I happen to be coming to San Lucas in Septemeber to visit some missionaries that we support there. If you are available/interested, we would love to meet your family and learn more about your ministry while we are there. Even a couple hours would be great! If you are open to connecting, my email is Toddandmel1@msn.com. Thanks for your consideration!! Melanie

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Tried to send via paypla...but there was no button to click. (even though it ways you can use paypal) Tried but to no avail. Maybe being in Canada, it's different. Tried a few times with no success.

Any ideas?

Unknown said...

I love your heart. Been wrestling with the hard questions myself and I love your action in a world where inaction is the easier choice.

The Sequin Singer said...

Our family is praying for you guys!